We LOVE engagements! Maybe that's really obvious, but it's true. Being engaged is both a rollercoaster and a really awesome time in life…while you may feel like you're walking on cloud 9 one minute, you're suddenly heartbroken because you hear your cousin's best friend sister likes the same bridal gown designer as you. Yuuuup…sometimes being engaged makes one CRA-ZY!
So, in no particular order, here are my top 5 things that every newly engaged person needs to know:
- Call your family and friends first–actually, call anyone who you think would be offended to hear your good news either second hand or via social media.
- Start making your guest list…this task sort of sucks, but it is oh-so-important and it informs so many other decisions (i.e. venue, ceremony location, flowers, and even the date, depending on the time of year and weather, etc.).
- Make a list of things that are really important to you–both of you. Make your lists separately and then share them. It's good to get any potential dealbreakers (like baby blue tuxes for the groomsmen) out of the way early. Plus, this step will help you figure out what you want to focus your budget on. For instance, if you both say you want awesome photos then you know where to allocate funds.
- Don't rush into making a decision about your bridal party…give it some time and extra thought. Again, once you have the basics nailed down (date, venue) then start to think about who you want to be a part of your day. Honestly, this can be such a tough topic…less is more, people! Less is more.
- I know you've binge watched “Say Yes to the Dress” and could probably chat up Randy Fanoli about past dresses / brides on the show, but it's better to wait until you have the venue and general time of year pinned down before you start dress shopping. I had a bride a few years ago buy two dresses–and not because she wanted two–because she felt her initial gown wasn't a good fit for the venue she picked…
Obviously, if you're feeling overwhelmed and need to chat with a professional about all things wedding planning, well, we've got you covered in that department, too!
What did you do when you first got engaged? Had you already started planning your big day in your mind? Let me know in the comments!